LNG is a natural gas (methane) that is cooled, through a cryogenic process to a liquid state for ease, efficiency and safety of onsite storage or transportation via truck, train, or marine vessel. It is particularly beneficial as a clean burning fuel for reaching remote areas that lack direct pipeline infrastructure. Consolidated with its partners, Stabilis has been distributing LNG to customers since 2006 and has been one of the early industry pioneers developing the small scale LNG production and distribution markets in North America.
Safe, Affordable, Environmentally-friendly LNG
What is Liquid Natural Gas (LNG)?
The clean alternative
More LNG Facts:
- LNG is a a cryogenic liquid cooled to more than -260°F and of highest quality
- It is approximately 1/600th the volume of natural gas in its gaseous state
- Has a higher ignition temperature than propane, diesel and other liquid fuels
- Reliably and efficiently powers high-horsepower engines
- LNG is safely transported and stored at low pressures
- It’s lighter than air – quickly evaporates if spilled
Reduce your carbon footprint
Natural gas releases significantly lower emissions than other fossil fuels.
- 20-30% less CO2 than distillate fuels per unit of work delivered
- 75%+ reduction in nitrogen oxides – a leading component in smog and ozone pollutione
- Over 90% decrease in particulate matter
- 50% or more reduction in sulfur dioxide
Lower fuel costs
Natural gas is abundant in North America, drastically reducing dependence on imported crude oil. As such, fuel prices for LNG are stable and predictable. The ability to safely transport LNG over long distances at low costs enables a virtual pipeline for markets that lack access to traditional pipeline infrastructure or to supplement natural gas during service interruptions. Stabilis offers the added advantage of a complete North American footprint and a flexible fleet to efficeintly serve diverse geographic regions.
More about LNG
- Expansion Ratio: ≈ 1:592
- Liquid Density: ≈ 26.12 lb/ft3 or 3.49 lb/gal
- Specific Gravity of Gas: ≈ 0.58
- Melting Point: ≈ -296 °F
- Burns with a lazy flame
- Inhalation: asphyxiation
- Skin Contact: severe frostbite
- Swallowing: unlikely, but frostbite
- Eye Contact: frostbite
- 1 LNG gal ≡ 82.6 SCF of NG
- 1 LNG gal contains 82,600 Btu.
- 1 SCF of NG contains 1,000 Btu.